Ambulatory Care Clinical Pharmacy Manager
Education & Training
- PGY2 Internal Medicine – Methodist University Hospital in Memphis, TN
- PGY1 Pharmacy Practice – Methodist University Hospital in Memphis, TN
- Pharm.D. from the University of Mississippi School of Pharmacy
- B.S. – Pharmaceutical Sciences from the University of Mississippi
- B.S. – Applied Biochemistry from Lipscomb University
- BCPS – certified since 2007
- Preceptor: UAMS Medical Center ASHP Accredited PGY1 Pharmacy Residency, Internal Medicine Clinic – Ambulatory Care
- Preceptor: UAMS College of Pharmacy ASHP Accredited PGY2 Ambulatory Care Residency, Internal Medicine Clinic – Ambulatory Care
- Preceptor: P-4 Ambulatory Care Rotation
Previously a clinical pharmacy specialist in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Disease while in Memphis, TN. Currently, the ambulatory care clinical pharmacy manager and practicing as a pharmacy specialist in the Internal Medicine Clinic at UAMS.
Research & Scholarly Interests
- Ambulatory Care
- Transitions of Care
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- Evans D, Usery JB. Implementation and assessment of a pharmacy led inpatient transitions of care program. Southern Medical Journal. 2020 June; 113(6): 320-24.
- Summers BB, Yates M, Cleveland KO, Gelfand MS, Usery JB. Fidaxomicin compared with oral vancomycin for the treatment of severe Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea: A retrospective review. Hospital Pharmacy. First published April 23, 2019.
- Shah SP, Peters MJ, Usery JB, Twilla JD. Clinical and economic implications of restrictions on calcitonin utilization in a health system. Hospital Pharmacy. First published February 21, 2019.
- Nishimoto A, Usery J, Winton JC, Twilla J. High-dose parenteral thiamine in treatment of Wernicke’s Encephalopathy: case series and review of the literature. In Vivo. 2017 January 2; 31(1): 121-24.
- Marler J, Usery JB, Nolan S, Oliphant CS. Antithrombotic usage patterns in the era of new oral anticoagulant options for atrial fibrillation. Hosp Pharm. 2016 July; 51(7): 564-71.
- Usery JB, Vo NH, Finch CK, Cleveland KO, Gelfand MS, Self TH. Evaluation of the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia. Am J Med Sci. 2015 January; 349(1): 36-41.
- Sakaan SA, Twilla JD, Usery JB, Winton JC, Self TH. Nitrofurantoin-induced hepatotoxicity: a rare yet serious complication. SMJ. 2014 Feburary; 107(2): 107-113.
- Kimmons LA, Usery JB. Acute ascending muscle weakness secondary to medication-induced hyperkalemia. Case Rep Med. 2014: 789529.
- Twilla JD, Finch CK, Usery JB, Gelfand MS, Hudson JQ, Broyles JE. Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus bacteremia: An evaluation of treatment with linezolid or daptomycin. J Hosp Med. 2012 March; 7(3): 243-48.
- Woods JA, Usery JB, Self TH, Finch CK. An evaluation of inhaled bronchodilator therapy in patients hospitalized for non-life-threatening COPD exacerbations. South Med J. 2011 Nov; 104(11): 742-5.
- King ST, Usery JB, Cleveland KO. Adverse renal outcomes associated with antibiotic-laden spacers in two-stage joint revisions. J Infect. 2011 Aug 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- King ST, Usery JB, Holloway K, Koeth L, Cleveland KO, Gelfand MS. Successful therapy of treatment-emergent, non-clonal daptomycin-non-susceptible Enterococcus faecium infections. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011 Nov;66(11):2673-5. Epub 2011 Aug 16.
- Twilla JD, Gelfand MS, Cleveland KO, Usery JB. Telavancin for the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus osteomyelitis. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011 Nov;66(11):2675-7. Epub 2011 Aug 10.
- Finch CK, Eason J, Usery JB. Gabapentin withdrawal syndrome in a post-liver transplant patient. Journal Of Pain & Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy. 2010 Sep; 24(3): 236-38.
- Self TH, Wallace JL, Arnold Gray L, Usery JB, Finch CK, Deaton PR. Are we failing to document adequate smoking histories? A brief review 1999-2009. Curr Med Res Opin. 2010 July; 26(7): 1691-6.
- Usery JB, Michael LM 2nd, Sills AK, Finch CK. A prospective evaluation and literature review of levetiracetam use in patients with brain tumors and seizures. J Neurooncol. 2010 Sep; 99(2): 251-60.
- Arnold LB, Usery JB, Finch CK, Wallace JL, Deaton PR, Self TH. “Inadequate documention of asthma management in hospitalized patients”. Southern Medical Journal. 2009 May; 102(5): 510-14.
- Usery JB, Self TH, Muthiah MP, Finch CK. “Potential role of leukotriene modifiers in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease”. Pharmacotherapy. 2008 September; 28(9): 1183-87.
- Howard-Thompson A, Usery JB, Lobo BL, Finch CK. “Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia complicated by warfarin-induced skin necrosis”. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. 2008 June 15; 65(12): 1144-47.
- Usery JB, Lobo B, Self TH. “Lithium drug interactions”. Consultant. 2008. 48(1): 37-40.
- Self TH, Usery JB, Howard-Thompson A, Sands C. “Asthma treatment protocols in the ED: are they effective?” Journal of Asthma. 2007 May; 44(4): 243-48.
- King DS, Harrell TK, Vinson MC, Brock CM Davis WM, Keeton NB, Usery JB, Rice SD, Siqueira, AC, Usery JL, Williams PA. New drug approvals of 2004 – Part 2. Bureau of Pharmaceutical Services Continuing Education. www.rxed.org/umce
- Wofford MR, King DS, Harkins KG, Stewart JL, Noble SL, Usery JB. “Incidence of hyperkalemia associated with aldosterone antagonists in a hypertension referral center”. American Journal of Hypertension. Volume 18, Issue 5, Supplement 1. May 2005: A76.
- Usery JB, King DS, Wofford MR, Teat DW. “The clinical use of aldosterone antagonists and associated hyperkalemia”. Research Day. University of
Mississippi Medical Center Department of Medicine Meeting Abstracts 2005:35, A55.